SSQ Insurance and SSQ Foundation’s charitable donations policy outline the criteria used to award and manage corporate donations.
The SSQ Foundation was created in 1996 as a means of making a meaningful contribution to organizations whose charitable activities are in line with the following sectors:
Youth, school drop-out rates, alcohol and drug dependency, and the reintegration of young people into the labor market.
And because it reflects the objectives of SSQ Insurance, the policy also includes charitable work in the following areas:
Health, wellness and prevention of illness
SSQ Insurance was created to insure the population’s health 75 years ago. It is relevant to address this sector.
Healthy and active lifestyle
As a service provider in the life insurance sector, SSQ Insurance positions itself as a modern corporate citizen that promotes the prevention of illness. Its philanthropic endeavours must support the organizations and programs that are active in the health sector and promote healthy lifestyle habits.
Respect for the environment
The SSQ Foundation must support organizations that have sound environmental practices. The SSQ Foundation’s donation policy does not specifically single out organizations whose mission is to protect the environment.
To be eligible for selection, each organization must be able to significantly and concretely demonstrate that environmental concerns are incorporated into their operations and initiatives.
Selection criteria for submitting a request to SSQ Foundation
- Be recognized as a certified charitable or not-for-profit organization
- Have a Canada Revenue Agency charitable organization number
Criteria for refusing a request
Requests to be refused include projects with questionable financial management and which benefit one individual at the expense of another, or those associated, directly or indirectly, with an element presenting a risk of contention or controversy.
In addition, the following requests are not eligible for financial support from the SSQ Foundation:
- Projects that do not involve targeted areas of interest
- Projects involving a single individual
- Video, DVD or film production
- Projects involving travel and excursions
- Activities held outside of Canada
- Projects related to a political party or candidate belonging to a political party or lobby group
Requests that are not in keeping with its values or those that may be in conflict with its integrity and ethical standards will not be analyzed by the SSQ Foundation.
In an effort to help preserve the environment by reducing paper use, SSQ Insurance and SSQ Foundation require applications to be made online. A confirmation email will be sent. Applications received by mail will not be accepted.
In 2022, applications may be submitted during one of the following periods:
- Monday, January 17, to Friday, February 25, 2022, inclusive
- Monday, April 4 to Friday, May 13, 2022, inclusive
- Monday, September 12 to Friday, October 21, 2022, inclusive